Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Art of the Ancient Aegean

This unknown piece of artwork, fisherman, would be placed in the category of the Minoan Culture. I say this because there is a great deal of resemble to the artwork of the woman or goddess with snakes, on page 88. One main resemblance is the fact that the fisherman and the woman with the snakes both have very skinny waists. I know it has to be from the Minoan culture because that skinny waist was mentioned in one of our lectures this week. I also think that fisherman artwork is from the Minoan culture because of the use of all those bright colors. Even the woman or goddess with the snakes on page 88 has a lot of bright colors as well.  As I remember from our lecture the Minoan culture uses many of these bright colors in their artwork. The artworks are also similar to each other because each person in the art is holding something in each hand outward.

Another unknown artifact is the vase. With its features it was hard to place into Cycladic, or Minoan cultures. So I think this artifact belong with the Mycenaean culture. The Mycenaean culture really liked the krater; they were popular among the people. I think that it is more Mycenaean culture because the vase looks like it has something to do with war, and the Mycenaean were really into war or warriors. As you can see on the robes of the figures you can tell they are warriors. The robes are spotted and are made to think that the warriors are important. On the vase you can tell that the vase is related to war with the chariot and the swords and the body armor of the people-like figures. There is a figure that looks like it’s a woman, and I think maybe the warriors are going off to war and she is saying good bye to them.  Another thing that leads me to think that it’s the Mycenaean culture is because of the unnatural proportions of the bodies, and the people don’t look like people they look like animals. The Minoan artifacts have very tiny waist and the people are made to look more real-like. The Cycladic cultures have artifacts with people who have long slender bodies, and that have really no detail in the structures. Therefore the chariot vase is categorized with the Mycenaean culture.

4 comments:

  1. You have some good ideas, Samantha. I'm not going to say whether your attributions are correct on here (so that your classmates don't have an unfair advantage), but I think you've presented some good arguments. I like that you mentioned the Snake Goddess' "pinched waist" as a characteristic for Minoan art.

    -Prof. Bowen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought it was very interesting that you compared the fisherman to the snake goddess. Now after looking back at the snake goddess there are many similarities that I didn't catch the first time. I also liked that you mentioned on the vase there is possibly a woman figure saying goodbye to the men, which makes it very likely that they are going off to war.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought the point you made comparing the fisherman to the women with snakes was very interesting. On second look, I do see the similarity between the pinched wastes, the note about both holding things outward is also a unique characteristic. Kind of sounds like a trait they carried over to different works similar to egyptain art. I also liked the connection you made with the vase and the Myceaneans because of its subject matter having to do with war.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for clearing that vase depiction for me, I thought they were chickens. Now that I see its a war seen I can now see why you chose the Mycenaean culture. I also liked that you mentioned the importance of the soldiers by the patterns on their clothing. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete