Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Final post


I really like the pieces with a religious, or political message to them. I really enjoyed comparing different artworks from the different periods of time. I think one of my favorites was comparing Commodus as Hercules and the portrait head of Caracalla. He portrait head of Caracalla has a rough appearance of a man’s face I think that is to show more power and that is why it was of great importance to Romans.  The bust of Commodus as Hercules has more of a peaceful facial expression. This piece also shows that he is of high power because it shows a sense of intimidation. You have to look more deeply into this piece because you have to understand the mythology of the God Hercules. Hercules was a strong and powerful leader, he is known for his heroics. I think that the two men are powerful and each show it in their different ways.

I also liked learning about Winckelmann and his views on Greek art. Winckelmann changed the way we see Greek art. When you say Greek statues you don’t think of the painted ones, you think of only the white marble statues, the ones Winckelmann favored. Seeing the reconstructions of the white marble statues makes me see them differently now because I try and add color to them. But I still agree with Winckelmann about how the white is more pure and adds more class to the statues. He really made me understand that adding or subtracting colors or shapes or symbols can really change the meaning of the art.

Along with those I also liked comparing the architecture of the pyramids to the Ziggurats. I learned that the Ziggurats and the Pyramids at Giza have similarities but they also have their differences. Each was built for someone with great importance. Which I think is the most important similarity they share. However each one was built for different reasons and they look different. I learned that there was more to them that meets the eye, pyramids have a gold cap to them. Which I would have never have known if it wasn’t for this class.

I also liked that the Ancient Aegean artwork had the use of skinny people. It showed that they have a unique form of art. With this class I learned to look for things like that within the artworks of the past. I also learned to critically analyze the difference and similarities of each piece of art. It is also nice to read about what others in the class are thinking and to have their inputs on my own opinions. I am looking forward to continuing to learn about the history of art. 

6 comments:

  1. I'm glad that you enjoyed reading the opinions and ideas of other people in the class. I hope that helped you to reconsider your own opinions or look at works of art in a different way.

    It sounds like you enjoyed many of the comparative analyses that we did over the quarter! I'm glad about that.

    I enjoyed teaching you and your classmates this quarter.

    -Prof. Bowen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also enjoyed the pieces with political or religious messages. I liked comparing the pyramids to the ziggurats as well as Commodus as Hercules and the portrait head of Caracalla. I learned a lot about both of these time periods and regions through the analysis of those works.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also find it interesting to now picture Greek sculptures painted. I also am in favor for the white marble over the painted, but it was nice being able to see the reconstructions of what they originally looked like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also found pieces of work that serve a religious or propaganda purpose to be fun to study. The compassion assignment between Caracalla and Commodus was particularly fun.Its interesting how simple facial expressions and outfits and appearance can send such a strong message.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the pieces that were related to religious or political subject matter are some interesting artworks. I believe they are so interesting because they connect to some passionate subjects. Religion and politics are by far the two most passionate subject matter. So I believe that the artist puts their same passion and best foot forward when working on the pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also agree with the statements regarding Winckelmann. I found it interesting that the statues had been painted, which demonstrates the difference of interpretation between the Greeks and our modern day thought.

    ReplyDelete